musician – Tar player, arranger, composer, teacher
Specialist in Persian music performance; plays Tar (a plucked-string instrument central to Persian music).
Tar Performance – long-term engagements
- New Canadian Global Music Orchestra (Toronto) – 2016-present
The NCGMO is a resident ensemble at the Royal Conservatory of Music in Toronto, made up of elite performers from different global musical traditions. Membership was selected through highly competitive auditions.
- Iran National Music Orchestra (Tehran) – 1998-2016
A regularly rehearsing and performing orchestra, the INMO gives frequent concerts, tours, and accompanies live performance. Performance was from memory, from scores, and through structured improvisation.
- Radio and Television Orchestra (Tehran) – 1998-2016
I played tar as a regular member of this recording ensemble, and wrote arrangements and compositions that were featured in radio and television programs.
- over 40 concerts at major concert halls in Iran (Tehran, Isfahan, Shiraz) with the Iran National Music Orchestra
- tours with the INMO to Armenia, Austria, Canada, China, Germany, Norway, Kuwait, and Uzbekistan
Other select performances (Canada)
- “Concert for Peace,” Ottawa – 13 Strings and Iranian-Canadian Composers of Toronto.Featured soloist, Tar.
- Aga Khan Museum, Toronto – solo tar performance
- “Avaye Andalib,” Richmond Hill Centre for the Performing Arts – ensemble performance.
- Sarv Music Academy, North York – performance with the Barg Ensemble.
- Small World Music Centre, Toronto – performance with the Barg Ensemble.
- Upcoming 2017 concerts with NCGMO; as soloist with the ICOT at the Toronto Centre for the arts; in a trio with (Maziar Heidari, piano; Pedram Khavarzamini, tombak); and the quintet Iranian Modal Music Ensemble
Other select performances (Iran / International)
- Simin Sepehr Association, Tehran – performed at a charity concert to support children with cancer.
- Mehrnava, Tehran – performed at charity concert to support children in need. August 24-25,2013.
- Rumi Festival, Oslo, Norway – performed with and arranged for the Navaye Del Ensemble (Iran) at the closing concert of the festival in November 2011 and 2012.
- Vahdat Hall, Tehran – performed with the Khakavak Group. July 29, 2011.
- Vancouver, Canada – performed with the Parishad Group (Iran). March 2011.
- Vahdat Hall, Tehran – performed with Ensemble Simorg. March 2011.
Bachelor’s Degree, Music (specialization in tar performance)
Art University, Tehran. February 1997 – September 2001. Training in Persian music and in Western European Classical music.
High School Diploma, Music (specialization in tar performance)
Technical High School, Tehran
- Private teaching in Tar, Toronto – 2016-present
- Teaching faculty at Azadeh Music Institute, Tehran, 1998-2016
- Private teaching in Tar, Tehran, 1998-2016
- Instruction in tar, Technical High School, Tehran, 1995-1996
- I have given workshops in the history and theory of Iranian instruments to elementary school students
Fluent in Farsi and English